Milyin Featured 10

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Space

Home > Creations > 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Space

Abhay NairLast Seen: Aug 19, 2023 @ 2:48pm 14AugUTC
Abhay Nair

A Mouse That You Can’t Keep Your Hands Off

  1. Space is not completely silent: While there is no sound in the vacuum of space due to the absence of air molecules to carry sound waves, certain objects can produce sounds when interacting with their environments. For example, astronauts can hear sounds generated by vibrations transmitted through their spacecraft or spacesuits.

  2. Space is not completely empty: Although space is often depicted as empty, it is not devoid of matter. It contains various particles, such as dust, gas, and even larger objects like asteroids and comets. These particles are scattered throughout space, albeit in very low densities.

  3. Space is not completely dark: Space appears dark because of the absence of direct sunlight and scattered light. However, numerous celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and nebulae, emit their own light, illuminating different regions of space.

  4. The majority of the universe is composed of dark matter and dark energy: Regular matter, which makes up stars, planets, and everything we can see, accounts for only about 5% of the universe’s total mass. The remaining 95% is made up of dark matter (27%) and dark energy (68%), both of which have not yet been directly detected.

  5. Astronauts experience changes in their bodies in space: Extended stays in space have various effects on the human body. Astronauts can experience muscle and bone loss, cardiovascular changes, vision problems, and a weakened immune system. These effects are the focus of ongoing research to ensure the well-being of astronauts during long-duration space missions.

  6. The International Space Station (ISS) is the largest human-made structure in space: The ISS is a joint project involving multiple space agencies, including NASA, Roscosmos, ESA, JAXA, and CSA. It spans an area of approximately 109 meters (357 feet) in length, equivalent to the size of an American football field, and has been continuously occupied since November 2000.

  7. The coldest known place in the universe is in space: Scientists have created extremely low temperatures in laboratories on Earth, but the lowest naturally occurring temperature ever observed was in space. In certain regions of the Boomerang Nebula, the temperature is estimated to be around 1 Kelvin (-272.15 degrees Celsius or -457.87 degrees Fahrenheit).

  8. Time moves differently in space: Due to the effects of gravity and motion, time is not constant throughout the universe. This phenomenon, known as time dilation, means that time passes more slowly for objects in motion or in stronger gravitational fields. This has been confirmed through experiments and is an important consideration for space missions.

  9. Space is a vast garbage dump: Over the years, space has accumulated a significant amount of debris, often referred to as “space junk.” This debris consists of defunct satellites, spent rocket stages, and other fragments from space missions. The presence of space debris poses risks to operational satellites and even manned spacecraft.

  10. The universe is expanding: Observations have shown that the universe is not static but is actually expanding. Galaxies and other cosmic objects are moving away from each other, indicating that the universe is continuously getting larger. This discovery led to the development of the Big Bang theory, which proposes that the universe originated from a highly dense and hot state billions of years ago.

Abhay NairLast Seen: Aug 19, 2023 @ 2:48pm 14AugUTC

Abhay Nair


Published: | Last Updated: | Views: 22

You may also like

Leave a Reply